* IMPORTANT INFO FOR ALL STUDENTS - PLEASE TAKE THE TIME TO READ!*
Horseback riding is a year-round sport (our lesson sessions are just to track payments) so riders are assumed to be continuing in the following session unless you notify us that you need to make a change. We do recognize that there will be some unpleasant days in the upcoming months but thankfully they have changed the long-range forecast to say that this winter will be much milder than last year’s record-breaking cold. To help make winter riding more enjoyable, we have implemented the following:
- HORSES IN – All riding school students will have their horses brought in for them so students do not have to go into the back field. If for some reason your horse is not in, please let the tack-up help know and they will fetch them for you.
- Heated Lounge - The new office trailer will be heated and open for parents/spectators to hang out in when waiting at the barn. There will be coffee, tea and hot chocolate available. As of January, we will also have a camera hooked up in the big arena so you can view lessons on a TV from the comfort of the camp trailer! Just a reminder that there is also a heated viewing room in the loft for the small arena and spectators are still welcome to watch from the tack room as well.
- Driveway - We have a new plowing company this winter – hopefully they will do a better job! There will be two “passing areas” where the driveway is plowed wider - by the big pond and by the top of the hill by the paddocks. Please be courteous to other drivers and pull over in these areas if you see a car coming to prevent anyone getting stuck in the snow banks on the sides of the driveway.
- Extreme weather cancellations – As in previous years, we will cancel lessons if the temperature is below -12c before the wind-chill or during unsafe driving conditions (heavy snow or icy rain). NEW this year though – although Session 3 (Jan/Feb) is an 8-week session, we are only going to invoice for a 7 classes. So if we have to cancel lessons, the first time we’re square. If we have to cancel a second time, students can choose to either book a make up (can be in the follow session) or we can deduct the class off the March/April session. If the weather is cooperative and you get all 8 classes in, we will just add the cost of the 8th class to the following session. Hopefully, not having to contend with scheduling make-up lessons will allow more students to continue riding in the next session!
Also, we want to remind riders and parents that you need to dress for riding lessons in the winter months as an outdoor activity. You wouldn’t go skiing dressed in leggings and running shoes – summer riding apparel is just as inappropriate for winter riding. Riding throughout the winter can be warm and comfortable if you are dressed right! In case you missed it before, here is the link to the tips or dressing for winter riding.
As we do expect that some students will not be able to continue during the winter (very young riders or those with other winter activities that conflict) we are asking all students to please resubmit their Lesson Availability form. We will post the revised schedule on Friday, January 2nd.
* Please note - if you choose not to continue next session, we cannot guarantee you will be able to return to the same spot in March/April. Please email February 14th to re-enrol and to find out what spaces are available.